Saturday, September 27, 2008

Memory Work

With the stress in our life right now there are some things that suffer. One of those things are the extras that happen in a school day. My creative juices are just not flowing right now. My thoughts are too occupied with our court hearing and the thought of possibly having to hand over our son. We are getting in the core things, but things like Art, Science experiments, and memory work are suffering. My husband sat down with me last night and went through lesson plans and really took a load off by giving me the freedom to just cover the basics for the next month. Having his support in that helps my anxiety level. He also came up with what I thought was a great idea and I wanted to share it with those of you who still have children in the grammar stage. He suggested making memory work flashcards and storing them in an over the door pocket shoe holder. He even said I could buy as many flashcards as I could find so I did not have to make them all. He thinks they can do a lot of their memory work on their own this way. I just tell them which cards to pull out and they quiz each other. I am sure this is not a new idea and others are already doing it, but it sounded good to me and I thought I would share.

2 comments:

Beth@Pages of Our Life said...

That is a great idea! I recently discovered something as well that has been helping decrease my load. While my boys are working on handwriting I play all of their memory work like Latin for Children, Grammar, History...etc. Sometimes I even play it when they fold clothes. They like their CD's so this has helped me.

Julie said...

We have been doing some of that too. I have not done it during chore time. I will have to try that.